Consumer & Community Advisory Committee

Am I eligible?

The role of a Consumer Representative is open to anyone who is not employed by, or is a contractor to Hesse Rural Health. You may be a current or former health care recipient, patient, client, resident, family member, volunteer or interested community member.

Who can I ask for further information?

You are most welcome to speak with any of Hesse’s current Consumer Representatives. Please telephone (03) 5267 1200 or email to request further information about the consumer representative role.

Please provide your feedback, for either compliments or complaints, using link to the feedback form.